Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Perth to Norseman - 17/11 to 21/11

Monday, the 17th

We all hear about the "Freemantle Doctor" the afternoon breeze (wind) that blows over Perth & surrounds. It is a great selling point but really it is just the "afternoon sea breeze". We could name the afternoon sea breeze on the east coast the "Baffle Nurse". Just a thought.

As soon as I tally up the respective columns I'll list here the relevant costs, mileage, fuel costs, etc up to the time I departed Perth.

106 days on the road
Total distance = 14,766km, without van 4,337km.
Fuel - last fill 14,761km - 2,412.39litres. Cost - $4154.95. Average $1.722/litre
Mileage - 6.118km/litre or 16.354litres/100km

Caravan Parks - 71 nights @ $20.15/night (average) - more nights than I intended
Food & sundry items - @ $ average/day


Today I've made it to Wave Rock near Hyden. As I left Perth I saw the Jacarandas in flower & then passed through some forests & small market garden growing area. Also stone fruits were being grown in one place. I travelled the Brookton Highway & the initial part takes you through the hilly water catchment area. Interesting to note that in this same area there are Warning Signs for "1080 poison baits". Must taste good in the water! We don't forget the abundance of sheep & the paddocks full of grain. Yes sir, we are back in sheep & grain territory. Along the Brookton Highway there is a Dog Cemetery just before you the township of Corrigin. The surrounds are well kept & it is a fitting tribute to man's best friend. It is truely something different.

Today there was no gentle breeze, it was a bloody gale & from the East so I was punching into it the whole way out here. Great for the fuel consumption! On my way here I passed the 15,000km mark for my trip.

Met another Vet, from Bridgetown, WA, who served in Sigs & just happened to be in the same intake. Tomorrow we'll climb the Rock & then move on.

Tuesday, the 18th

Climbed Wave Rock & had a walk around the area, then headed off to Southern Cross. Had about 100kms or so of dirt road but surprisingly it was in good condition with little corrugation. Still plenty of grain about but different scrub line in places & the red dirt starting to reappear. I stopped along the dirt road & let the dogs have a good run up & down the road. Obviously no traffic!

I've ended up at a free camp area called Yerdani Well about 60 km west of Coolgardie. Must be a bit of money in Southern Cross as I saw 2 banks there. On the outside of the town there were a couple of mine sites but I'm not sure what they mined. The water pipe that runs from Perth (I think) to the goldfields follows the road through this region. Leaving Southern Cross the grain started to disappear & has been replaced by scrub. More large semis heading in both directions.

My Army mate from Perth has gone to Geraldton to go out on one of the Navy Frigates to the site of the HMAS Sydney for a Memorial Service on Wednesday. He had a relative on board the ill fated HMAS Sydney. He was praying for fine weather & little wind, good luck, Mal! The tress in Geraldton are on an angle due to the strong winds that prevail in the area & the region is a surf sailor's delight.

Wednesday, the 19th

Surprisingly I was the only one at the free camp area. TJ & Cassie loved it as they were are to run free & not be hindered by their leads.

We left late as we were only 100km short of Kalgoorlie. We passed through Coolgardie & it was an interesting town. In its hey day it was the home to 23 pubs but today there are only 2. It was too early to imbibe! Old buildings are prevalent & Historical Markers are dotted around the town.

On to Kalgoorlie & the Prospector Caravan Park. Good value for money (better than the one in Mandurah, the worst of my trip). I've had a drive around the town & visited the lookout at Mt Charlotte. Here is the original water tank for the towns supply. I also had a look at the Super Pit lookout. What a pit, just enormous! I'll go back tomorrow when I have better light for photos.

I talked to a fellow who did the Nullabor in 2 days, mainly because it rained (showers) all the way over. We have our fingers crossed for better weather.

You will note that I have not mentioned "wind" for the past 2 days & we will keep quiet on that matter & hope that things stay as is!

The sad part of the trip between Coolgardie & Kalgoorlie was the rubbish on the side of the road. The worst I have seen anywhere on my trip. A sad reflection on society!

Thursday, the 20th

Back to the Super Pit with no shade this time plus the Military Museum. Some domestics, shopping & I was ready for a move tomorrow.

Friday, the 21st

I'm off & head for Norseman. Lo & behold I meet up with a couple I tagged with in the northern part of WA. We chat about our recent adventures & then I move on to the Nullabor.

No comments: