Monday, November 3, 2008

Bruce Rock to Perth - 3/11 to 16/11

Monday, 3rd November

After goodbyes to numerous people I have made my way south to Lake Grace & overnight here. Along the way I've had a look (look only, it wasn't open) at the historic Ardath Hotel & then through Kulin & the Tin Horse Highway. Tin Horse, aptly named as there are numerous "tin horses" in various poses along the side of the road. They have a Bush Race weekend here every October & from all reports it is a great weekend.

According to the billboards, Kulin is the Capital of the Wheat growing region of WA.

So here we go, more grain, more sheep & believe it, more wind!

On to Needilup on Tuesday for a night of free camping & I stopped at a town called Ongerup to watch the Melbourne Cup at the local pub however, would you believe, it was closed as the publican had gone to Jerramungup as their was a TAB there. I listened to the Cup on the radio. On Wednesday I headed for Albany via Jerramungup & Boxwood Hill. After leaving Boxwood Hill the landscape changed with less grain & more Tree Plantations, mainly Pine Trees from what I could ascertain. And now the grapes start to appear & the wineries are open for tastings.

I'm at a caravan park on the King River, a pleasant setting (no doubt in fine weather), about 11km east of Albany CBD. Plenty of ducks etc to keep Cassie amused & TJ thinks an extra breakfast is looming.

There is rain around today (Wednesday), with talk of thunder storms with hail & I was going to free camp tonight but the place I chose was not flash so I kept on & arrived in Albany mid afternoon.

Thursday, the 6th

I will stay here in Albany for a couple of days & look around the area plus catch up with another Army mate. There are still showers in the area & they say they will persist for another day at least. Rain & of course wind & more wind. What's new!

Friday, the 7th

Today is overcast, but hellulah, the wind has dropped, I won't talk too loud.

I've visited Mount Clarence & looked over Albany from above. Very impressive but it would have been better with a sunny day. The Desert Mounted Corps Memorial which stands at the end of a series of steps starting from the lower car park is a recast of the original statue erected at Suez in 1932. The granite blocks are the originals from Suez & bullet marks can still be seen on them. Mount Clarence is the site of Albany's Anzac Day dawn service. The roadway leading to the Memorial is tree lined with plaques beneath the trees remembering those fallen soldiers & it is a sobering reminder to the sacrifices paid by those so others can enjoy the freedom we have today.

Then on to Mt Adelaide & the Princess Royal Fortress. Here is a collection of memorabilia from the Albany Barracks & includes a Naval Display, HMAS Perth Interpretive Centre, Australian Light Horse Museum (10th Light Horse memorabilia), Artillery Display plus restored cottages & barracks which are full of memorabilia.

I've decided to stay another day & leave on Sunday for points westward.

Saturday started off overcast but would you believe it, it has turned fine with some blue sky above & probably it has made it to 21deg. I've had another look around the town & got my domestics done.

Sunday, the 9th

Left Albany & travelled through Denmark, The Southern Forests, Pemberton & on to Alexandra Bridge. Plenty of cattle, the odd paddocks of sheep, of course wineries & timber plantations on this section.

The trip was different in that we travelled through hilly country with forests on both sides of the road in many places. Denmark reminded me of Mt Tambourine, except for the big climb & little Art Galleries, Pottery Houses etc dotted the roadway. Because of the windy roads the usual groups of motor bike riders testing their "skills" were prevalent. The road ran close to the coast for a 100 or so K's then headed inland. Off the main drag & onto Pemberton & more wineries. Some of these had big dams/lakes & some had a pergola that was obviously used for weddings & functions. There was plenty of water about & for most of this day there was water along the road verges so there was the evidence of recent rains.

This region is GREEN, I mean the grass.

Through this region there are a number of small crop farms & many make their way here to pick the crops during the season. Many of these people follow the crop season & are in the process of moving from places like Carnarvon to this region at this time. Pemberton had a big Timber Mill & there were many Tree Plantations along this route as well.

Alexandra Bridge is a camp area south east of Margaret River & is beside the Blackwood River which winds its way to Augusta. There are about another 10 vans/campers/tents here & no doubt in fine warm weather it would be a popular place for families.

On Monday I headed for Cape Leeuwin & checked out the point were the Southern & Indian Oceans meet. Very impressive but $5 per head just to walk on the grounds & extra if you do the tour up the Lighthouse. I've been up the Cape Moreton Light on many occasions so there was no need to do this tour. Just as in many places I've been the predominant interstate vehicles were from QLD.

Back through Augusta & then Alexandra Bridge.

Tuesday I've decided to do the round trip to Cape Naturaliste, Dunsborough, Busselton & Margaret River.

For something different it has been raining since 3am but nevertheless I'm off at 8am. The coast road was lined with trees, B&B's, Chalets, Retreats, Caves, walking tracks & of course the obligatory Winery with a restaurant/function facility attached & overlooking the man made lake. At one point there were about 30 young ones out for their hike along the side of the road. They looked wet & no doubt happy to be out walking!

I was in Busselton just before 11am so went to the Remembrance Day Service. By now it was fine & I was not in need of the coat. The Busselton Jetty juts out for about 2km & has an underwater observatory at the end but I could not leave the "desperates" & explore for that length of time.

Another walk for TJ & Cassie & we take the inland route back to the van. More wine tasting & bottle sales at Cowaramup but alas I'm driving & the drizzle has returned. Margaret River township was quaint & no doubt had the prices to go with it. The price of fuel (unleaded) is around the $1.35/litre mark & is the cheapest I've seen for many months.

I've been surprised at the number of properties for sale & just as equally surprised at the sale prices! Definitely not give away prices! I can only wonder how all the accommodation/restaurants/function facilities exist. Most of the wine must go overseas as we never see the brand names back home (some are familiar though) & the prices at the cellar door are not in the budget range even with the 50% discount sales.

Tomorrow we are off to Bunbury, then Perth & next Monday (17th) we start the trek home.

Wednesday, the 12th

At 10 last night the moon cast shadows through the tree canopy & the stars were visible so one could hope for a fine day today. However, however, however, at 6.15 this morning there were heavy dew drops on the roof of the van. But wait, too consistent for dew drops, ahhh, more precipitation. The radio says more drizzle for today but Bunbury is expected to be fine. We wait with baited breath!

I will probably be whinging soon about it being too hot!! Human nature!!

Sue Road, a back road to the coast, is a better road than many of the Highways I've been on. A sand mining operation was supposed to start in the area but the deal fell through but the road was put in regardless. Many tree plantations line this road as well. Iluka Resources have a sand mining facility south of Bunbury & when I went through a town called Eneabba, south east of Geraldton this same company had more dongas in a camp than there were houses in the town. There was a big sand mining plant outside that town.

The wild life today - A wild Emu crossed the road ahead of me & disappeared into the scrub. In another place I saw cattle & a few emus "grazing" in the same paddock, strange, I'm not sure. In another place there was a large (read LARGE) sitting on a fence post beside the road but I saw it too late & there was nowhere suitable to pull over & take a photograph. During this trip I have seen few wild animals, four legged that is, mainly Emus, a few Donkeys & one dog who was on the road east of Albany. The dog was no relation to "you know who".

I called in to visit an Engineer doggie who I had met at our reunion in Baldivis & was with us at Bruce Rock. I then moved on to Lake Clifton, about 170km south of Perth, late in the afternoon. I had a fish dinner at the Hotel next door while the desperates had "gourmet chicken & rice". Gee they are spoilt! I'll stay here the night & move on tomorrow.

I think it is 40 years today that I returned home from Vietnam.

Thursday, the 13th

I moved to Mandurah & will catch up with a couple of Vets this arvo as well a fellow from the site "Exploroz.com". I have some homework to do & prepare a list of provisions I need to purchase for my next leg. I picked up some XXXX Gold cans (30 pack) for $27 a carton in Albany, a steal! Pity the wine specials aren't as good or maybe I'm not looking in the correct place. Particularly around Perth & suburbs there is a bottle shop on nearly every corner but hotels & clubs don't seem to be a prolific as they are at home. The clubs & pubs don't have pokies so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

There is a radio station in Perth that plays "oldies" & also has "Chicken Man - the white winged warrior" & for those of us who served overseas this serial was always the highlight of our day when we were in camp. A bit of nostalgia. Also beats the hell over talk back radio. The ABC regional stations are great but when they cross to programs emanating from the Capital cities you get some talk back & radio announcers who have an attitude & an agenda. Please, give me a break! Thank goodness for CD's.

Friday to Sunday - 14th to 16th

I spent the weekend at an Army mates' place in Rockingham. Visited my cousin & his family & caught up on my domestics. Relaxing couple of days as it should be except that TJ & Cassie found out how to open the "home dog's" kibble box. Not once but twice they raided it! Oh well, need to go back another day to apologise.






No comments: