Friday, October 31, 2008

Geraldton to Perth - 11/10 to 15/10

Saturday, 11th October

Finally moved on from Geraldton & made my way to Leeman for a couple of days. Whilst here I travelled down to Green Head, Jurien Bay & Cervantes. An interesting coastline but once again the wind is blowing its heart out so no fishing. The coastal area vegetation is once again very similar to Moreton Island & obviously the sand base has something to do with it. There is Lime Sand mining in the area as well.

From here I made my way inland to Arring Siding via Three Springs. The wheat belt is a complete contrast to the coastal region. The grain produced here is Wheat & Canola. I was not aware of the extent of the area that is devoted to grain farming in WA. It is such a huge area & starts north of Northampton & traces an area inland as far south as Esperance. My generator has had a "seniors moment" and does not want to start. I've pulled things to pieces but no luck, so I'll wait till I get to Perth to get it fixed.

On to New Norcia for an overnight stay and a visit to this Monastery township.ottle interesting place to say the least, plenty of history & I purchased a loaf of "home cooked" bread (only $5.40), but balked at the wine at $19.95 a bottle with no discounts for Catholics or Seniors. Damn!

I was going to camp at Moore River, near Gilderton, back towards the coast but as I was now only 100+ k's north of Perth I decided to keep moving on to Baldivis. On my way over from New Norcia I passed a gigantic Satellite Dish, however there was no identification markings for this facility. (Two weeks later & I still can't determine the purpose of this facility) (A month later & I'm told that it is a Defence facility & of course I believe that story!). Also passed a property called "Inala" which was the home of a "Limousin Stud Cattle". Just tickled my fancy!

On the way to Moore River I passed through Gingin, which is completely different to the Gin Gin we know. This area is very fertile & grows many vegetable products, fruits & olives. Of course strawberries are in abundance. Grapes are also prevelant & wineries are appearing & no doubt a sign of things to come in the SW corner os this state.

No comments: