Thursday, September 18, 2008

Carnarvon to Geraldton/Northampton - 18/09 to 10/10

18th September to ......

Moved from Carnarvon to Denham today. Denham is the main town in the region known as the "Shark Bay World Hertiage Region". There had been recent rain along the road south but the Rodeo has missed out on a much needed wash.

The vegetation beside road to Denham is very similar to Moreton Island.

Wind! Talk about wind! We drove into head winds from Carnarvon to Overland Roadhouse & then we got buffeted in the Caravan Park. We stayed in the smallest park in town & there was good room between vans & others there were friendly.

Went over to Monkey Mia to see the Dolphins & really only Tangalooma revisited except that it is on the other side of the country.

The power at Denham is generated by wind vanes with a back up generator, however the caravan park people said the cost of electricity & water was tripple what Perth residents would pay.

Interesting to note in many places the reference to French explorers in the 1700's & Denham has a plaque in one of the parks honoring some of these early visitors to our land.

From Denham to a camp area called "Nerren Nerren" but found that the gas fridge has thrown a wobbly. Out with the generator & instead of a leasurly trip to Northampton I hot footed it to Geraldton. Was lucky that the problem with the fridge was only minor (build up of carbon on the gas igniter) & fixed within an hour at a caravan repair place.

I plonked myself in Geraldton for a couple of days & then went back to Northampton for 5 days to stay with an old army mate. It was great to catch up with him & go through old photos etc plus have a look around the area.

Monday, the 29th
Bold
Back to Geraldton & now some time to look around the region including the HMAS Sydney Memorial. This is a most impressive monument & is built on a hill overlooking the City and the coastal area.

I got my vehicle serviced while here & cross fingers all was ok.

I was ready to move & lo & behold some rain so I've taken off on Friday (3rd October) & gone east to Mullewa & Pindar & then south to Tardun. The wildflowers are out but not as colourful as I had expected. I think I am a little too late. I'm not too late for the flies though they are as thick as!

I have managed to crack a window on my van in a free camp area so I've decided to head back to Geraldton to get it fixed.

I must have done something wrong as a few things have gone wrong here. The lock on the van collapsed & I had to drill it out (with the help of another camper) before I could get back in the van. Luckily I was able to buy a replacement lock at a caravan spare part shop. Cassie decided to eat the remote control for the Satellite decoder. I was able to get a replacement from Townsville & it only took 2 days to get here. The Foxtel card won't work so I've sent it back to Brisbane & my neighbours will run it through my decoder box at home & once it is working again will send it back to me. It has rained again so I'm delayed again from moving.

No comments: