Sunday, December 21, 2008

Walgett to Brisbane

Sunday, the 21st

I wasn't in a hurry to move so after lunch at the RSL I decided I better go otherwise I'd still be there on Monday. Up past Lightning Ridge again & onto the Queensland border town of Hebel. A pub, a Corner Store & a couple of houses & that's it. I decide to have a coldie in the pub & on the walls hang a couple of John Murray's prints. You could spend ages reading all the posters & writings on the walls of a country pub & this place is no different.

I still need to visit the border towns of Barringun, Hungerford & Texas to say that I have visited all NSW/Qld border towns & had a coldie in each place between Cameron Corner & the Coast.

On to Dirranbandi & then Nindigully for the night. A couple of beers at the Pub & then a restful night beside the Moonie River.

Monday, the 22nd

There were not any storms or rain forecast for today so I thought I would have a leisurely run to somewhere near Warwick & camp the night before making the last run to home.

At Goondiwindi I caught up with friends but as they were busy I decided to push on after a short chin-wag. Petrol (unleaded) was scarce here due to a recent problem at the Caltex refinery in Brisbane however I managed to get fuel & then I moved on. I looked at a camping area at the Coolmunda Dam, east of Goondiwindi, but it was too early to stop & there was a hive of activity from many holiday makers who were setting up camp for their own holidays. A top spot & no doubt I'll stay here at another time.

I pulled up at a camp spot on the outskirts of Warwick, had a brew & walked the desperates. It was about 3.30pm & as I was only a 180km from home I made a management decision to keep going. There was a similar problem in Warwick with the fuel but I got some at Cunningham's Gap.

By the time I visited my sister, niece & my Mum & made it home, it was after 8.00pm & our epic journey had come to an end.

Now for the clean up & possibility a return to home life, at least for a short time until I plan my next trip.

No comments: