Saturday, December 13, 2008

Dareton to Walgett

Monday, the 15th

We got under way in perfect weather conditions & headed for the Murray Valley Highway. This took us through Euston (NSW) & then across the Murray into Vic & along the southern side of the Murray. Through Swan Hill, Kerang, Echuca & then Moama. I intended to catch up with our Pardre from '67/'68 but he has been sick & was not back in Moama. A shame, but I would have kicked myself if I had not called in & he was here.

The wineries were along the way here along with orchards (oranges, mandarins, apples, stone fruits), small vegie crops & olive oil factories.

From Kerang dairy farming took the place of the orchids. There has been up to 2" of rain through most of this area over the weekend & no doubt this has been follow up rain as the region is reasonably green. In many places irrigation channels are controlled by small weirs & the water is taken from the Murray. I was surprised at the size of Swan Hill & of course there were the mandatory paddle steamers & house boats anchored on the Murray. At Echuca & Moama there are numerous paddle steamers & house boats & it is obvious there is a good trade for these products. But don't forget there is no water in the Murray!

Outside Kerang there was a property that was growing "Australian Cricket Willow Plantation". Interesting!

In Moama there are 6 caravan parks & I'm not sure about Echuca. In each park there are a majority of sites with permanent demountable buildings & I'm told many people holiday here for months on end or come here regularly on weekends. The number of ski boats & dingies stored here is staggering, but I forgot there is no water in the Murray so you could not ski, fish or enjoy any water sports. Cynical? not me!

Outside Echuca there was a big swarm of Locust. I understand from news reports that there has been a plague of these pests in this region.

Most of the country from Mildura to here is flat with only a few undulating hills. It reminded me of the area between Hay & Balranald which I covered a few years ago.

Tuesday, the 16th


North of Moama the country was very flat but after leaving Narrandera there was more undulating countryside & I observed mountain ranges to the west, nort west & north east. North of Jerilderie there was the start of The Kidman Way that winds its way to Qld via Hillston & Bourke. Leaving Moama you enter the Riverina & the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area.

I made it to Mirrool late in the afternoon & free camped near the local hotel. The population of Mirrool is less than 100 & includes some of the local families on nearby farms/stations. There was plenty of water in the road verge & from all reports most of this area received 2" of rain over the weekend.

Wednesday, the 17th

I have only covered about 250km today & made my way to Peak Hill. I would like a $1 for every Qld registered vehicle heading south both yesterday & today. A $1 for every semi would also certainly add to the coffers.

West Wyalong, Forbes & Parkes are small townships that are passed along the way & all have a country feel although there is an industrial base that relates to the farming products & machinery that are required throughout the region.

On the edge of Forbes there was the Ben Hall Roadhouse plus in the town there is a statue of Ben Hall.

Thursday, the 18th

Today I head for Dubbo but not before I get a hair cut from the local barber in Peak Hill. For $5 I thought I could not go wrong & in fact is does not look to bad. There are showers about but it is reasonably easy on the road. Once again numerous semis going in both directions & as has been the case over the past 2 days many Qld registered vehicles heading south.

I shopped in Gilgandra & caught up on my grocery shopping & this will do me till I get home. I nearly stayed in Gilgandra but made the management decision to move on to Coonamble. This will make for an easy day on Friday. There are plenty of cattle & sheep in the paddocks & the country side is pretty green as well as water, from recent rain, in the roadside verges.

Friday, the 19th

The overnight at Coonamble was restful & I managed to catch up on my washing before moving on to Walgett after lunch. I'm staying with an old Army mate for the next couple of days. We have the opportunity to go through photos from SVN & whilst we remember most people in the photos there are a few who we do not recognise.

Saturday, the 20th

Today we have a drive around the town & then up to Lightning Ridge. A friend of my mate has an Opal Mine & we go to visit him & his family. We go underground into the mine & it is an interesting set up. Most people have a "claim" of about 50x50 yards & have a "home" on that same block. The "houses" in the mining area range from tin shanties to more substantial structures. The mining area was a real eye opener.

The town itself was interesting with a real diversified population & there were the signs of many European people settled here. The town swimming pool was something to see. It was more like Wet & Wild & beside it there was an indoor diving facility that was of Olympic standard.

We visited the premises of an artist, John Murray & looked at the works he had for sale. The colours were vibrant & the outback he depicted was very real. I didn't purchase anything however if he had a painting of a Dingo I might have been tempted.

I really enjoyed my visit to Lightning Ridge & the Opal Mine & will no doubt visit here again one day.

Tomorrow I start the down hill trek towards home. It is up hill but we won't tell anyone!

No comments: